Saturday, July 15, 2006

Musselshell River

We vacationed in Montana last week: quiet, the stars, sunrise through the pines, Big Sky, and the River. Hwy 12 parallels the Musselshell for quite a distance -- Martinsdale, Twodot, Harlotown, Ryegate, Lavina, Roundup and east -- our route back to Minnesota. Chief Joseph (Nez Perce) crossed the Musselshell near Ryegate in his flight to Canada. We no longer live in Montana either, but still own our 20 acres in the Bull Mountains.

Why do some think their way is the only way? The river runs in peace, the hawk soars and rests vigilant, and Soul's quest is always freedom.


Musselshell River

Russian olive rimmed river and sage blue-gray
Pine-ridged cut banks through rolling hills
Cottonwood green and dead snags
White with morning sun
A red hawk hunts on the Musselshell.

6 comments:

  1. I'd love to go there some day. (I wrote a tanka about our river a day or two ago. Rivers are on our minds, I guess.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! Did you get pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picture that river only in my head right now. We were driving too fast. I will try to post a picture on our property in Montana when I have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know an American Indian friend in Ronan, Montana, he comes from a famous tribe there and a town named after them.

    Please feel free Ardi (and anyone else) to join me in my "Stop The War" and "Love and Peace" blog rally on my blog now. Keep Hope Alive!

    Blessings,

    Rhi

    ReplyDelete
  5. i really like ur profile.

    ReplyDelete