Thursday, June 23, 2005

If you see it today...

...and like it, it may change tomorrow.

Hopefully for the better. It's hard for me to declare a poem finished.

Is a work of art ever done?

A voice keeps speaking--so I listen.

For instance, tonight after a very hot day in this neck of the woods, and the AC not working so well:

I write
as if all is well.
Sun heats the dark roofs gray.
Wind stopped by awfull thoughts.
Road tar melts. Pavement rocks.
I plod with tired feet
and then remember what I forgot:
All is well
dispite this.

Who knows, I may delete it after a few more reads, if attempts at editing doesn't suit me. What do you think??

1 comment:

  1. Is a work of art ever done? Yes and no. I think that a work of art goes through phases. There are definately periods where a painting/drawing/poem seem complete, and these can last for an incredibly long time - so much so that in this lifetime they are certainly complete. But on the other hand, I think there can always be room for improvement or creative expansion. Again, that may not happen immediately, and in fact, sometimes if we continue to perfect our works of art we will spoil them. So, for me, I wait until I feel that it is complete, or that I have hit some kind of stopping/satisfaction point. I then take a break and will perhaps go back when I've had some time away so I can decide whether or not that is the time to continue. I also think that poetry is one of those art forms that is invaluable because we can watch how it grows and know where it came from. I love to see how my own writing changes, whether it be in syntax or ideas, and for that reason, I certainly would not delete poems or other writings. I may however quarantine them out of public view for awhile until I become more comfortable with what has already been written, or have inspiration about how I could "improve" my original work.

    ReplyDelete