Friday, July 04, 2008

Claiming Dreams

Through my morning window I observed motion on the tree across the street. Three squirrels. My first thought was 'Haiku.' But it is the 4th of July, Independence Day in the US. I start to grasp the net that ties it all together . . .

Claiming Dreams

New maple domain
Early sun broadsides gray trunk
Young squirrels play three.

All is right across the lot
Yet others say, It's too late
To celebrate this day
Independence Day
Freedom from oppression
Claiming our destiny.

In my dreams
I can do whatever I want
A rock becomes a leaf
A leaf -- a bird
And I become a squirrel
To claim my domain.

Hey wait a minute!
We can all dream.

Why wouldn't our dreams
Out-vote the nightmare
Of fear and despair?
Of terror and poverty
And global disaster?
Which do we choose?

Good Morning, World!
Wake up!
Claim your domain.
It starts with a dream.

.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Ardi---a wonderful perspective!

    (And .. I had to look .. claimadream.com is available!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And of course you know I would love this one Ardi..as I'm a "Dreamer" too! Most people who have helped change the world for the better are and were "Dreamers"..Believe..

    Thank you for posting a wonderful poem that fits the days..

    Blessings,

    Rhi

    ReplyDelete